Unity - Completed - Mika and Sadie's Adventure [Final] [Yoiko Books]

1. 3.00 star(s)

Prince Vevit

First and foremost, the art here is pretty good! Mika herself kinda looks like an Akira Toriyama girl. The story premise itself, while certainly non-consensual and 'rapey' is laced with stupid laissez faire humor that lightens the tone extremely and makes it quite a silly experience. Its a strong foundation! However, the gameplay itself has some glaring issues. It revolves around making it through rather simple platforming maps that end in boss battles, often with a humorous twist. Your main character can revive endlessly so there isnt much frustration there, only losing coins that you use to buy gems that allow you to use special attacks. The special attacks are hidden (quite plainly) in the stages as cards, and arent really necessary for the experience. Its almost like an unused mechanic. The main draw for this system is allowing you to beat up, undress, and stun your own partner character and npcs, allowing you to throw them or interact carnally. But this process, especially with your partner takes sooooo unnecessarily long. You can throw your partner at enemies to make them engage in intercourse, allowing you to easily defeat them, but getting her undressed and knocked out takes a good 10 to 15 seconds of basically just waiting, and her clothing comes back every screen, making it a rinse and repeat mechanic that gets old fast. Could have been implemented much better.

All and all, good premise, humorous setting, but awful gameplay and potentially interesting mechanics that didnt get executed properly.
  2. 1.00 star(s)

gdrocker

The game itself is incredibly short, only about a half-dozen levels from start to finish, and each takes about two minutes to complete, even if you're not rushing. The controls are... curious; WASD to move is fine, but having to press E or LMB to attack? Pressing F to grab Mika is fine and all, but then needing to press RMB to throw her... I'm wondering if the developer intended this to be a one-handed game initially, then gave up on that idea a few days down the line.

Also, the grabbing, the core mechanic of the game is incredibly wonky as well—if Mika (the demon girl) is knocked out and carried, but takes damage from any source, she'll oftentimes get locked into her stunned state. That wreaks havoc with the throwing physics of the game, since that'll end up only launching her straight up a short ways before coming down; in some instances, it means that she won't be able to move at all, or even be picked up to be moved; and it also means that if she's stuck in this state, you won't be able to use any of the four spells you find throughout the game. Thankfully, the spells aren't a hard requirement to beat some of the bosses, they just make things a whole lot easier, but still...

...as short as it may be, this game is borderline unplayable.
    It is far too easy to break, and not in ways that would benefit the player at all.
  3. 1.00 star(s)

F4C430

Reviewed Version: Final

Summary
    The platforming is rage-quit inducing. Game looks better than it is. I tried to play ~1 hour (reached the pirate level).

Presentation
    The art is okay, at least it's colorful. There's stats in the top left of the screen which i have no idea what they are--perhaps i skipped the explanation. All games should include a help screen to explain things regardless. There's also no options menu to adjust volume of sounds. The animations i saw were very meh, just simple looping with nothing for the finish. When the animation finishes, she just falls stunned on the ground; it's pretty disappointing.

Controls
    You can't change the controls in-game, only in the Unity launcher which sucks because the launcher gives you a lot of key bindings whether they're used by this game or not. The implementation of the controls is very sloppy; see Gameplay below.

Gameplay
    Considering that this is a platformer, the gameplay is terrible, and this is what hurts this game the most. First problem: jumping. In the first boss fight, you need to jump off the rock that shoots up in the air, but if you press jump on the wrong frame, your character is not actually registering contact with the rock and you can't jump. So you have to press jump a couple times to actually be able to jump in that situation. Second problem: edges. If you're on an edge, your character will just slide off and there's nothing you can do about it. There's actually a platform in a level that abuses this and you can only approach it from the other side lest you just slide off. Third problem: interrupts. Controls will interrupt each other, stopping whatever action you were doing. So if you are moving right and click to attack, it stops you and you can't move again until you release right and press it again. Also, after knocking down a girl, i noticed that i had to move first for the left-shift to register.

I quit playing in the pirate level because the sloppy controls are too frustrating. The levels i saw were very simple, short, and boring. The pirate level was so frustrating because the boats move so slowly and the bombs are hard to avoid with the crappy controls.

Rating
    1/5 because it's a terrible platformer. I'd consider giving it a 3 if the controls weren't so bad.